|Falcons not counting on Tony Gonzalez to play in 2014|
|Written by Anthony Rome|
|Wednesday, 12 February 2014 15:54|
Falcons not counting on Gonzo
ATLANTA, GA (The Spread) – Tony Gonzalez has hinted recently that he would be open to returning in 2014 but the Falcons aren’t holding their breath on his return.
Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff says he’s not counting on Gonzalez playing in 2014 despite the tight end suggesting that he would be open to a late-season return to a contender. The Falcons own his rights for 2014 after he signed a two-year, $14 million contract last March, so he can’t just choose to go to any team he wants.
“I believe Tony Gonzalez has retired and he’ll have a fantastic career in the media business,” Dimitroff said.
Gonzalez recently told ESPN’s Doug Gottlieb last Friday that he would be open to returning to the Falcons if they open the season with a 10-0 record. While the comment was an obvious joke, one could surmise that he hasn’t completely ruled out playing again next season. And after racking up 83 receptions for 859 yards and eight touchdowns last year, it’s clear that the future Hall of Famer can still play at an elite level.
According to oddsmakers from online sports book Bovada.lv the Falcons are 28/1 to win the 2015 Super Bowl. The Seahawks are currently favored at 11/2, while the 49ers are 13/2 and the Patriots are 9/1. The Broncos, meanwhile, are 10/1, while the Packers are 12/1 while the Panthers and Colts are 20/1, respectively.