|Kemp withdraws from NBA draft; will remain at Nevada|
|Written by Admin|
|Monday, 18 June 2007 05:45|
Kemp had announced his intention to declare for the NBA draft, but didn't hire an agent to maintain his college eligibility.
He participated in the NBA pre-draft camp earlier this month and had until Monday to make his decision, which the university announced Sunday night.
``After going through the entire process, I have decided the best thing for me is to return to Nevada for my senior year,'' Kemp said.
``I have received feedback from the NBA as to what I need to work on and I intend to use that to better myself as a player. I am looking forward to pursuing my degree and coming back to compete with my teammates for another WAC championship.''
Kemp earned first-team All-WAC honors this season after ranking second on the team and third in the league in scoring at 18.5 points per game. He led the Wolf Pack in 3-pointers made and was fourth in the Western Athletic Conference in 3-point percentage.
``Marcelus has used the NBA early entry process exactly as I feel one should,'' Nevada coach Mark Fox said. ``He has learned how he can get better in the eyes of the NBA and he will.
``He is excited about the things he can still accomplish at Nevada, and we are looking forward to helping him,'' Fox said.
Kemp will be the lone returning starter from last year's team which won a school-record 29 games, won its fourth consecutive WAC regular-season title and advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
Teammate Ramon Sessions last week announced he is forgoing his senior year and remaining in the June 28 draft.